Applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information, reconcile transactions, prepare journal entries, prepare audit worksheets, assess and maintain internal controls and perform other duties as assigned by the Controller.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare journal entries on a monthly basis and at fiscal year end for monthly/year end closing purposes.
- Record journal entries accurately and timely and/or review recorded entries for accuracy. Review and adjust recurring entries as necessary.
- Analyze financial information for variances, completeness and accuracy, including review of monthly financial reports for significant variances.
- Generate monthly financial reports from accounting system and distribute to departments on a timely basis, in accordance with guidelines.
- Answer questions of managers, directors and other employees regarding financial reports. Research and record any needed corrections on a timely basis.
- Assist other staff members and external auditors during the annual audit cycle by answering questions, locating information, balancing accounts, preparing financial summaries/reports and performing other duties as required. Update Annual Audit Worksheets on a monthly basis as required.
The following duties are only applicable as assigned and will vary by staff accountant:
- Assist in the research and preparation of financial information for annual fiscal year end federal 990 tax returns and other tax returns, as assigned (5500’s, federal and state trust returns.)
- Complete all monthly bank reconciliations on a timely and accurate basis. Prepare and record all identified journal entries resulting from bank reconciliations, on a timely basis.
- Compile financial actual data and budget information to remit field funding.
- Complete state filings of unclaimed property on a timely basis.
- Perform testing of new transactions flowing into the accounting system in coordination with Controller and Information Systems staff.
- Manage the recording and reporting of sales tax related to products sold.
- Perform other related duties as may be required to support the functions of the CFO Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required; MBA desired.
- 5+ years of experience as an accountant
These are the characteristics, skills, gifts, strengths and talents that will contribute to the success of the person in this position.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports such as: expense accounts, bank statements, journal entries, balance sheets, income statements, and general ledger spread sheets. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from external auditors and other Finance Department staff members.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of current accounting and auditing practices and regulations. Good communication, organization and time management skills. Must be detail oriented and have the ability to meet deadlines. Calculator/10-key proficiency and typing skills. Proficiency in Excel and Word is essential. Knowledge of fund accounting, not-for-profit accounting, and/or church accounting is desirable.
Must be born-again Christian. Must have personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and live life in alignment with the Word of God as set forth in our Doctrinal Statement. Must be in fellowship with the body of Christ through active commitment to local church.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This Job Description reflects the current assignment of essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive. Responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time based on the needs of the organization, and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or for other reasons.