The Finance Manager provides analytical decision support to ministry and functional leaders to accomplish our mission to disciple children, while maximizing the effectiveness of assets and resources. This role is a financial business partner responsible for facilitating annual budgets and periodic forecasts, and for providing monthly variance analysis and other analysis to aid decision making.
- Partner with ministry/functional leaders to create budgets and forecasts that align with ministry goals and objectives; also partners with missionaries to prepare missionary budgets.
- Measure/monitor performance against budgets and forecasts, and identify risks and opportunities around utilization of assets and financial resources. Meet with ministry partner each month to review performance, risks and opportunities.
- Ensure compliance to financial policies, processes and other control mechanisms to safeguard assets and sustain ministry.
- Assist the finance team with the overall planning processes and supporting analysis requests as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of ECFA standards and appropriate application to Awana.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required; MBA desired.
- 5+ years of experience performing financial analysis in either for-profit or non-profit environments; experience as a financial business partner desired.
- Budgeting and forecasting experience; financial modeling experience desired.
- Intermediate Excel knowledge/experience (pivot tables, lookups, conditional formulas, etc.) and experience with financial systems.
Must be missionally minded with a ministry heart. Ability to respond to inquiries from senior executives, customers, donors and other constituents. Demonstrate initiative to solve problems. Must be a collaborative team player, curious and disciplined with a strong desire to make things better together. Must embrace Awana’s cultural values: discipleship, excellence, team, community and growth, and aspire to live them in the workplace.
Analytical Skills: Excel at analyzing and interpreting financial statements, data and metrics. Ability to write and present the story behind the numbers. Solid reasoning ability and enjoys solving problems. Ability to multi-task, shift gears quickly, work independently and collaboratively. Ability to meet deadlines while paying attention to details.
Communication skills: Effectively present information to business partners and non-financial managers. Excellent interpersonal skills, including comfort level interacting with senior level management. Team orientation and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Must be born-again Christian. Must have personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and live life in alignment with the Word of God as set forth in our Doctrinal Statement. Must be in fellowship with the body of Christ through active commitment to local church.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, or handle, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This Job Description reflects the current assignment of essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive. Responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time based on the needs of the organization, and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or for other reasons.