The vision and driving passion of Awana is that all children and youth will come to know, love and serve the Lord Jesus Christ. Awana missionaries carry out this vision through relationships with local churches. They assist local church leaders to develop and lead ministries related to children and youth in a way that works in their particular setting. Awana missionaries serve on a team whose responsibilities are guided by the Field Leadership team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Build relationships with pastors, ministry directors and volunteers at assigned churches. Through the nurturing of these relationships, help churches establish ministry that works in their particular setting and develop to their full ministry potential.
- Help local churches launch and implement effective Awana ministry by developing relationships with key church leaders and volunteers and providing leader equipping, coaching and/or guidance during the first three years of ministry.
- Effectively communicate vision and information with a variety of constituents including donors and churches, in written form, using various digital technologies, and via live and video-based presentations.
- Maintain and promote clear lines of communication with Field Leadership Team and Awana headquarters. Report field activity in a timely and accurate manner, as requested.
- Raise funds for personal income and ministry expenses in accordance with the Awana Fully-Funded Policy. Demonstrate good financial stewardship of raised funds.
- Build and develop volunteer teams to serve the local church on behalf of and in conjunction with the Awana missionary. Identify, recruit, train, coach, motivate and empower volunteer team members. Lead this team in a way that honors God.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
Must be born-again child of God. Must have a clear, definite call of the Holy Spirit to the Awana ministry. Must be living a clean, wholesome, fruit bearing, spiritual life, and is a person of vision, burden, spiritual depth, initiative, and faithfulness. Must have a good working knowledge of the Word of God. Must be of the same doctrinal convictions as set forth in our Doctrinal Statement. Must be a member in good standing of a gospel-preaching church. If married, have a spouse who is supportive of their ministry.
- Possess a high degree of self-awareness and emotional intelligence. Has relational comfort and ability to demonstrate professionally appropriate behavior in social settings.
- Effective interpersonal skills. Relates well to volunteers and staff at all levels. Treats others with respect and dignity. Accepts accountability for actions. Exhibits an attitude of Christian discipleship with a servant’s heart.
- Must be able to work well independently and in a team environment; able to delegate when necessary.
- Must be a life-long learner.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a working knowledge of the Awana programs, products, and services.
- Demonstrate sound working knowledge of Awana Clubs International’s Doctrinal Statement and ability to engage in conversation about it.
- Ability to effectively present the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills are a must. Ability to influence others through presentations to small and large audiences, representing Awana professionally and accurately.
- Ability to effectively cast vision to leadership and ministry team members. Ability to effectively communicate to people from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong consulting and problem solving skills that will be effective in the local church environment.
- Excellent planning, coordinating, and research skills.
- Attention to detail and deadlines and the ability to take initiative to solve problems and manage work load are required.
- Knowledge of basic marketing, advertising, and promotion concepts is recommended.
- Highly proficient at using technology to communicate, including phone, e-mail, text, social media, and online video communication. Willing and able to learn and adopt new technology is required. Computer skills including Microsoft products, typing proficiency, and database skills.
- Must have access to high-speed internet service.
- The ability to listen effectively to constituents is required.
- Frequent travel is required by car, air, or other forms of transportation.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic mathematics to practical situations.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Resolves conflict constructively with individuals directly involved. Is considerate and tactful when addressing sensitive issues.
Education and/or Experience
A Bible Studies Certificate from a Bible College/Institute and/or seminary or equivalent training and experience. Basic Bible doctrine and Old Testament/New Testament surveys are recommended. Courses in Evangelism, Missions, and Christian Education are also strongly encouraged. Awana Club’s leadership and Awana Ministry Team experience or equivalent training are recommended but not required.
Must be set aside (commissioned) for missionary service by home church, with a Commissioning Service. May be Licensed or Ordained. Valid driver’s license.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and carry 25 lbs. or more. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus, and drive a car.
Internal: Reports to the Regional Director. Has frequent interaction with US Ministries Dept, and Ministry Team Members, and some contact with International staff and other missionaries.
External: Has frequent contact with Pastors, Elders, Deacons, Commanders, and Constituents.
This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions, and is not meant to be all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time, and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability, or for other reasons.